Wednesday 8 August 2012

My Migration - Day 3!

I didn’t do a post last night because I was too tired from my amazing day at Lands End.


The bird life there was amazing; as soon as I arrived 3 Gannets flew straight past the cliffs where I was standing (what a sight). The pictures are all a bit fuzzy because of the sea fret.

 
Best of all you could actually see the cliffs because the last couple of years you couldn’t see anything because of the fog.


As I ventured into the RSPB hut I met a very kind lady who told me loads of facts about birds and Lands End.

Here are some of the birds I saw:

I saw about 40 Gannets one even preformed a 60 miles per hour dive for us, however as it came out the water it had no fish in its mouth, I saw loads of Fulmars, but didn’t manage to get a picture, a few Shags:


But best of all I spotted 6 beautiful MANX SHEARWATERS fly past the cliffs. First time I have seen them.

We then travelled over to Porthcurno where 2 buzzards were doing an amazing tumbling display above the cliffs. Managed a picture, but it’s not very good because of all the mist.


Does anyone have any advice for taking pictures when it’s all misty and there’s lots of sea fret?

Oh yes, and this is my Wilde Bird Wednesday post.

11 comments:

  1. Great post, Findlay. Looks like a great place to see the birds. The Gannets are one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing on WBW! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blog and pictures ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - Cornwall, not a bad county, but Somerset is better! (But I'm biased!)

    Nice set of pictures - Gannets always seem to be a good thing to see. I dont think there is much you can do about the fret. But, I think that its just part of the place the birds live - so not everything needs to look like a picture you could put in a field guide - sometimes I think it good to have some "atmosphere".

    I can remember the first time I saw a Manx Shearwater - I got rather excited. If you can, look up the scientific name of this species, you may get a surprise.

    Stewart M - Australia (born in Somerset!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have expected that ....... Puffinus puffinus

      Delete
    2. I really want to explore the Somerset Levels one day, but Australia would be good to.

      Delete
  4. Seabirds are quite special Findlay, and watching from cliffs very spectacular as you have found. Bad luck with the sea fret but I think the sun will shine for you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice photo series you show :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Gannets. They were the reason for my trip to Scotland where I also saw the Razorbills. I hope you will find them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Findlay and congrats on the lifer! It must have been awesome to see the Gannet making that dive!

    ReplyDelete