Sunday 27 January 2013

A Well Earned Roost

It's been another great week and I have so much to blog about, so I will have to split all the information across a few blogs. Later in the week I will be blogging about some more fox cam success and about some filming this weekend.  

Hope you all enjoyed doing your RSPB Big Garden Bird Watch this week - what did you get? We got Reed Buntings, Rooks, House Sparrows, Tits, Blackbirds and even 6 Black Head Gulls feeding from the back tray in the snow.

 Scouse Ringer set me a challenge this week, and I had to pass it to go on a roost ringing session with him. I think we caught the most species on the first net round, catching Chaffinches, a Blackbird and a stunning male Gold Crest. I was lucky enough to ring it which was a real treat!


They take a AA ring type. I was really addicted to the fiery head - amazing colours.


Another small bird that we caught taking an AA ring was a Wren, the first for me this year.


Here we are comparing the size of a Gold Crest and a Wren; in comparison the Goldcrest is quite a bit smaller than the Wren, although it doesn't show this so well in the picture. Check out Charlies thumbnail compared to the size of the Goldcrest.


When I was ringing the birds I was checking if they were male or female, juvenile or adult and all this information is recorded.


I think I got most of them right.


Some of the Chaffinches were almost in full breeding plumage especially the males, however the males' bills weren't blue yet. I was taking a few birds out of the bags and I think I did quite well.


I rung a new tit species today (a Coal Tit) one of my favorite birds.


A fabulous day with lots more great teaching from Peter. I also got to see a Peregrine, Woodcock, Teal, 2 Ravens and a single Grey Lag Goose flying over. 


(And no wellie disasters this week!).

Scouse Ringer's challenge was to name the only group of birds that can't walk if any of you want to have a go.

Wild Bird Wednesday

20 comments:

  1. such tiny beauties. i'd fail that challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought Grebes but they can walk even if they look like there struggling I bet most will google it. Real answer HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great weekend for you Findlay... my answer to your question is also Hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're certainly having a great time Findlay, and learning a lot in the process.
    I don't know the answer to the question; but that's the beauty of birds, always something to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say Swifts but I've seen them walking up walls, I read somewhere that Hummingbirds can walk on perches too, so I'm going to have a shot in the dark and say Gt.Northern Diver, my girlfriend reckons one with an injured leg..she's stupid though

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have said that a Manx Shearwater was a good guess, but I may be wrong. It must have been a real birding day Findlay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was Humming Birds. Well done to everyone that had a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos and you are having some amazing experiences with ringing the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These would all be new birds for me. Incredible colors and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see your photos from the ringing of birds!
    A perfect WBW post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are doing great with the id's and the ringing. I love the cute Goldcrest and the wren! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great week you had, very interesting and I enjoyed all the photos very much. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a tiny wren. Great post Findlay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goldcrests and wrens just disappear into your hands! I could not believe how small they were when I first held one.

    Nice post.

    Cheers and thanks for posting to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS: like the Tuesday Question idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love watching this little red-head doing his thing, and I think it is such a wonderful thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed your post. The Goldcrest is such a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete