Sunday 20 January 2013

The Yellowhammer and the Missing Wellie

I was up early today as I was lucky to be taking part in another ringing session - with the scouse ringer. I really can't tell  you how very lucky I am to be able to do this sort of thing, not many children my age get to do this. 

A cold and white start to the day brought some mega birds for me. The first net round probably gave us the most birds; the long net along the field brought us two Yellowhammer, a few Chaffinch and two Fieldfare. 


I can't believe I was lucky enough to hold one of these stunning Fieldfares.


It doesn't get any better than this, I was allowed to ring a Fieldfare (with a size C ring). When I got home I was watching a few Fieldfare in the garden and thinking that I had actually had one in my hand.


As great as it is to hold them, it  is also amazing to watch them fly free again....


Another stunning bird that turned up was the Yellowhammer...


I was lucky enough to hold one as well and I am getting more comfortable holding the birds now.


After I had ringed the bird, I kept hold of it for a while to study it closely. 


It was the female that I ringed, however I still got to hold and study the males.


We caught quite a few Blackbirds in the nets today, so I got to handle a few of my favorite birds.


This particular blackbird had been feeding well and was  rather fat and you could see the fat layer under its feathers. It was weighed also to compare with other birds.


Even though it was another perfect ringing session, I went down a path I have never been down before and it was really muddy; so when I lifted my leg up to take another step I hadn't noticed my welly had come off, and when I finally noticed my sock was a meter down in mud! 


Another brilliant weekend.





17 comments:

  1. You're getting some great experience with the ringing Findlay. What a top man scouse ringer is to let you work with him.

    Love that last shot lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a star Findlay, and you remind me of a certain "Scouse Ringer" when he was a baby ringer. I should know. I'm the Mothership!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've had another wonderful weekend Findlay... It made me smile when I read your wellie had come off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you say 'another brilliant weekend' and that included loosing your wellie and a sock 'a metre down in the mud'.... that's what I call dedication and enthusiasm Findlay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Findlay....Wow what a great day you had, you are a lucky boy to have that privilege of holding those birds and actually doing a banding!!
    It must have been a real exciting day since your wellie came of without you knowing it ! : }
    Thanks to the ringer, and you for sharing!!
    Grace
    PS I have to say I love the color of your hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Findlay,you've had another good day with the Scouse Ringer, I bet it's much better than school? (don't tell your mum I said that!!)
    It's got to be very exciting to be able to handle, and study up close, such a great variety of birds.

    I hope you got your wellie back?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous post on a wonderful day, Findlay! I had a real chuckle over your wellie incident!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so would have liked to have seen a Yellowhammer and Fieldfare so close up, especially the Fieldfare, though I think I would have to keep my distance from that sock lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great time!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! What a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great serie of photos, perfect for WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Findlay! I would love see see a ringing or banding. But, I would be nervous holding the birds. You did great! Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great birds and a wonderful opportunity to see them up close.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi !
    Has to see on photos, you always like so much birds ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another wonderful report. How exciting to be able to hold these birds in your hands! These are two species we don't have here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, wellie eating mud, its a fearsome predator - you were lucky to escape with you life.

    I miss birds like fieldfare (and redwings) - they were a winter special.

    Cheers and thanks for the link to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool! You've got to love the little adventures we get into for our feathered friends.....sometimes mud, sometimes bird $^&%:)

    ReplyDelete