Thursday 3 January 2013

Willow Tit - A Day With The Scouse Ringer


Today I had one of the best days I have ever had, in fact it was even more enjoyable than the bird fair last year. As soon I met Peter, Pete and Daniel (one of his trainees) I could already tell the day was going to be great. We caught quite a bit considering the windy weather. The first few we had out of the nets were a 
Lesser Redpoll and a Brambling, closely followed by a few Chaffinch and Blue Tits

And then when we got back to the area where we had set the ringing table up, I looked inside a bag and saw a Willow Tit, a first for me so you wouldn't be surprised that I couldn't wait until we could see it up close.


As soon as it was passed to me, all I was thinking about was about how lucky I was, and how amazing it was.


The only bird I actually put a ring on was a Willow Tit (since it was my first session)  however it was worth it, what an amazing bird! It took a size A ring.


After the Willow Tit, we soon went back to check the other nets, and boy we had a lot of Blue Tits. I ended up reading out the re-trap rings. All the birds we caught today, had rings or were about to, and so I guessed all the ring letters and got them all right (after a bit of research from the past few weeks).


More Blue Tits. Here you can see me reading out the code on the ring.


This Great Tit is an 6 adult. Now you can tell this because if you look on the outer bits of the wing you can see they are all a lovely blue colour. However if it had greenish feathers it would be a 5 juvenile.


I would of thought the Robin we caught would be aggressive and agitated , but whilst it was in my hands it was really calm.


As you can see Peter's dad Pete loves to hold birds.


Today's birds:
Robin
Blue Tit 
Great Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Willow Tit
Blackbird
Chaffinch
Lesser Redpoll
Brambling
Goldfinch
Greenfinch

And of course a big thanks to Peter and Pete for letting me join them. I really hope I can come again soon.

11 comments:

  1. Who are these Peter & Pete's? I heard you were out with Scouse Ringer and Moxey?

    Top post dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience Findlay.
    I can tell from the pictures that you had an amazing time.
    Willow Tit is a bird I've yet to see; and there you are, holding one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great experience today Findlay, It must have been very exciting to handle all the birds. I'm also very envious that, unlike me, you've actually seen a Willow Tit...and you got to hold it too!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. once again, really cool day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Findlay....I probably surprised a few by claiming never to have seen a Turtle Dove in 250 years birding, same goes for the Willow Tit which is extinct in our area of N.Lancashire.

    Keep up the good work....the birds need you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Findlay - you've had a chance to do something I've never done and should have taken the opportunity to learn when I had the chance many years ago when at Uni.

    As PW says KUTGW...TBNY

    Cheers

    Daveyman

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's never too late to learn.....it's never too early either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post about your fantastic day Findlay... I'm not jealous in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow what a day you had - soo pleased for you, and Peter above (or is it scouse ringer or moxey!!) is right - never too late to learn for those who think they've missed out on this opportunity - keep on with the good work - and all the research is paying off too by the sounds of it - you're a mine of information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great day you had Findlay, seriouly jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent day out. Good job

    ReplyDelete