Sunday 5 May 2013

Feeding Station Update

As you know, all the birds are starting to pair up now, including the Great Spotted Woodpeckers. This species of woodpecker is my favorite, and they have a nest not far from my new feeding station. 


 As you can see, it is in the back of the wood, so it makes it rather difficult to see, however I can quite easily manage. I have just arrived back and once again the woodpeckers were right by the hole, however I didn't have time to stay and watch to see if they went in (that doesn't matter really anyway because I have seen them go in plenty of time before).


This was another hole that the woodies had made, however they don't use this one.


Other birds I saw today included: Willow Warbler, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, Nuthatch, Tree Creeper, Buzzard, Wood Pigeon, Blackbird, Swallows and House Martins.

My little brother has now started a blog to share his brilliant photos. Have a look if you get chance:

10 comments:

  1. Hi Findlay, nice update. It is nice to be able to watch the progess of the woodies and their nest. You saw a nice variety of birds at your feeding station. Happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like Woodpeckers, they're truly great characters. In the woods near my home we have the male drumming away on trees during the dawn chorus...it always makes me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you have the woodpeckers close to your feeding area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love woodpeckers and you're very lucky to have this spot where you can watch them - great variety of birds you saw too! Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog - I'm off to check out Harley's now >>>>>>>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the feeding station has settled down quickly, with some great birds around.
    Keep us all updated on the woody's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update Findlay. Great news that your new feeding station is coming along so well. Lets hope that the Woodpeckers are successful...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear that your new feeding station is working so well, Findlay. For me, woodpeckers are not far behind owls as my favourites! I hope you have some great times observing yours.

    Thank you for telling us about Harley's blog. It's good to see that, whilst he is obviously drawing some inspiration from his older brother, he clearly has his own mind and is going down a different creative route.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to hear the new site is working well... keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great to see your new feeding station is going well Findlay, look forward to seeing more! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed your post today! We spent about an hour yesterday watching two different species of woodpeckers (Red-bellied and Red-headed) inspecting tree holes for suitable nesting sites.
    Hope your Great Spotted pair raise some healthy birds!

    --Regards, Wally

    ReplyDelete