Saturday 11 May 2013

Garganey At Haydns Pool

This morning I went to my feeding station, because it had been at least a week since I last checked and visited; the woodpeckers were about, but I didn't see them visit the nest hole. On the way back I got a nice surprise, a female Wheatear was in one of the fields.  After the feeding station me, Harley and my dad visited Haydn's Pool and once again I got a nice surprise, the Garganey.


This was a male, so it looked stunning. They are very busy birds and it made me laugh quite a lot. 


It was the first  time I had seen a Garganey . They are an Amber status bird on the RSPB's conservation importance list as there are only 23 - 115 breeding pairs in the UK

I need to say a big thank you to some body I met who pointed the Garganey out to me. I would also like to say thank you to Harley for taking all the photographs of today and letting me use them.


Other Good Stuff

I heard my first Cuckoo of the year today, and saw Oyster Catcher, Black Headed Gull, Shellduck, Gadwall, Mallard, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Pied Wagtail, Raven, Carrion Crow, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin, Swift and Great Spotted Woodpecker .

8 comments:

  1. The Garganey was a nice find Findlay, beautiful plumage on the male!

    And a great set of images from Harley, he's getting too good at this photography lark!...it must be good to have your own personal photographer though?

    And you got a good tally of birds for the day...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great bird to see Findlay. A real beauty.
    And well done to Harley for supplying the pictures. He's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful bird to see Findlay and I bet there were plenty of people looking for it... I will have to go looking for the Cuckoo tomorrow if I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant photos an expert must off taken that photo.I like the stripe on its head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a bit of luck, seeing a Garganey, Findlay! It's a few years since I saw one. The drake looks very handsome.

    You don't think it's cheating a bit, using a professional photographer?!

    A great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're quite lucky here in Northants we seem to get a regular male and female at our reserve during this period of the year, great birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Garganey is a great bird to see Findlay, I have only ever seen one which was also a male. They are very striking birds! Well done to Harley for the photos! Well done on hearing the Cuckoo too :-)

    ReplyDelete